As you may have read in my other post, Essentials for a Natural Birth, during my first son’s birth I didn’t use essential oils to comfort me. This time I am more than ready to have some of my favorite things on hand to help me with this beautiful transition in my life.
After researching several sites, books, and personal stories…. I found there was a lack of info out there for what people have used during this event in their life. Here, I have compiled some of my essentials I can not do without! Many of the items can be customized to fit your preference.
Back Discomfort Oil – My first delivery I had tremendous back labor, which I was NOT prepared for. Fortunately, I had a wonderful Midwife who kept me distracted and helped me stick to my plan. This time, I hope to have a little more control in my hands…. haha… I know, I know.
In this back massage blend I have a mixture of…
- Black Pepper – It has a strong, sharp and spicy aroma. It promotes healthy circulation and can be used for a soothing massage.
- Wintergreen – Has a minty, refreshing aroma that’s uplifting and stimulating. You can find wintergreen in a variety of products because of it’s soothing properties.
- White Fir – With it’s clean, crisp, woody, powdery aroma, this essential oil is most noted for feelings of soothing comfort. It evokes feelings of stability, energy, and empowerment. It can be stimulating to the senses while helping the body relax.
- Marjoram – With a warm, herbaceous, woody aroma it has calming properties and positive effect on the nervous systems. Many suggest to apply to muscles before and after exercising… which labor, most likely, is a marathon.
- Birch – Has a sweet, fresh, sharp aroma with similar properties to wintergreen.
- Basil – With its warm, spicy, herbal scent known to reduce anxious feelings, basil is a favorite of mine! It provides great benefits to both the mind and body, making it an ideal application to help reduce feelings of tension and it is also cooling to the skin.
Diffuser Mix – The birth center I am delivering at will have a diffuser on hand for me to use. Using a diffuser is great to change the mood in the room. It will help support you emotionally and keep you on track.
If you won’t be able to use a diffuser, you could make this into a roller blend and apply it along the back of the neck, wrists, and behind the ears.
Here is what is in my blend:
- Elevation – A blend of Lavandin Flower, Lavender Flower, Hawaiian Sandalwood, Tangerine Peel, Melissa Flower, Ylang Ylang Flower, Elemi Resin, Osmanthus Flower, and Lemon Myrtle Leaf essential oils. This blend is used for those moments when you need to be revitalized. This exciting blend provides an invigorating combination of essential oils that can elevate your mood and increase your energy. Promote feelings of self-worth while also helping to lessen feelings of stress.
- Grapefruit – With its citrus, floral, fruity aroma it helps uplift mood and provides a clarifying effect to the mind.
- Basil – Has a warm, spicy, herbal scent known to reduce anxious feelings. (I told you, basil is a favorite of mine!)
- Motivate – A mix of Peppermint Plant, Clementine Peel, Coriander Seed, Basil Herb, Yuzu Peel, Melissa Leaf, Rosemary Leaf, Vanilla Bean. With its fresh, clean, minty aroma, it will help you find the courage that comes from believing in yourself again.
Get Things Moving Roller – If things seem to slow down, I have an oil for that! I put this in a roller since I shouldn’t need a lot and it will be an easy way for me to roll on my belly and ankles (the reflex point for the reproductive system).
- Clary Sage – It has an earthy, fruity, and floral aroma, which is both nutty and herbaceous. It is one of the most relaxing, soothing, and balancing essential oils. It is popular for use during menstrual days to help promote balance with the uterine. Usually I can only use a small amount of this oil because the aroma is too strong for me, but recently I love the aroma and I am drawn to it.
- Passion – A blend of Fractionated Coconut Oil, Cardamom Seed, Cinnamon Bark, Ginger Rhizome, Clove Bud, Sandalwood Wood, Jasmine Flower, Vanilla Bean, Damiana Leaf gives it a spicy, warm, and rich aroma. This Passion Blend of spice and herb essential oils will help you rekindle excitement in your life, promote energized and enthusiastic feelings.
Perineal Massage Cream – Perineal massage can help prepare your lady bits for baby, and may even reduce your risk of tearing. Last pregnancy I used only used organic coconut oil and did the massage a few days prior to the big day, which helped me tremendously. This cream can be used in weeks or days prior to the big day or even as time progresses on the day.
- Myrrh – Hot, smoky, herbaceous, woody, dry aroma has powerful cleansing properties and is also soothing to the skin.
- Hawaiian Sandalwood – Rich, honey, sweet, woody and is very soothing and beneficial to the skin, making it highly sought after in body and skin care products.
- Vitamin E oil – Prevents water loss from the skin, and helps it to retain its natural moisture… essential for maintaining the elasticity of this sensitive area.
- Coconut oil – With its antibacterial properties it will provide a great glide without trapping bacteria.
Deep Blue Rub – This is a topical cream infused with a blend of Wintergreen, Camphor, Peppermint, Ylang Ylang, Helichrysum, Blue Tansy, Blue Chamomile, and Osmanthus. Deep Blue Rub provides a comforting sensation of cooling and warmth to problem areas.
As a massage therapist, I love using this with my clients and hope it will assist me during my birthing time.
Mito 2 Max – For maintaining stamina. Birth is like a marathon and I’m sure this will come in handy if things seem to go on for 24 hours, like with my first child. I hope to not need these, but you never know.
Mito2Max supports optimal mitochondrial function, aerobic capacity, and stamina naturally without the use of harmful stimulants.* Use Mito2Max as a healthy, long term alternative to caffeinated drinks and supplements for increased energy and vitality.
Breathe Drops – My midwife suggests breath mints… these are that for me. I don’t like peppermint too much, so that is out. I do love these breathe drops… and hey, maybe reading the bag will remind me to…. BREATHE!
Back Up Plan – We all know things don’t always go to plan, so I have packed these oils as a back up plan. If I need some skin support, these will be my go to oils!
- Helichrysum – This oil has a herbaceous, honey, and hay scent. It has been used in herbal health practices since ancient Greece and the oil is highly valued and sought after for its many health benefits. Helichrysum is best known for its restorative properties to the skin. Also referred to as the Everlasting or Immortal Flower, Helichrysum is used in anti-aging products for its rejuvenating benefits to the skin.
- Frankincense – With its warm, spicy, and clean scent Frankincense is known for its ability to rejuvenate skin and help reduce the appearance of imperfections. When inhaled or diffused, Frankincense promotes feelings of peace, relaxation, satisfaction, and overall wellness too, so that will also help with my emotions if needing to use it.
- Immortelle – Frankincense Resin, Hawaiian Sandalwood, Lavender Flower, Myrrh Resin, Helichrysum Flower, and Rose Flower essential oils. It helps to reduce the appearance of fine lines and helps sustain smoother, more radiant, and youthful-looking skin.
On Guard– This I used to make a hand sanitizer. Which will be good to have on hand with a new baby.
It has a warm, spicy aroma with it’s blend of Wild Orange Peel, Clove Bud, Cinnamon Bark/Leaf, Eucalyptus Leaf, and Rosemary Leaf/Flower essential oils. It helps protects against environmental and seasonal threats.
So that’s it! I (think) I’m prepared for my new journey! I can’t wait to test these oils out and tell you how they worked for me on my special day.
Did you use any special natural products on your day?
Share with us in the comments!
Leave a Reply